Night at the Newseum
Here’s a newsworthy item: AIA National Convention host chapter AIA|DC will throw the biggest party of the week on Thursday, May 17, at the Newseum. You’ll have full run of Polshek Partnership’s (now Ennead Architects) 250,000-square-foot building, which includes impressive views of the city from the sixth-floor terrace and interactive exhibitions throughout. The party runs from 7 to 10 p.m. Tickets will be available at the door.
To learn more, visit convention.aia.org.
Market to Market
Designed by Adolf Cluss, FAIA, and completed in 1873, Eastern Market is the oldest continuously operating public market in the District. But soon after D.C.-based Quinn Evans Architects completed an ambitious renovation plan in 2007, faulty wiring caused a fire that gutted the building. Quinn Evans used the fire as an opportunity to rethink some elements of the project. Since its rebirth in 2009, Eastern Market has become a central hub for food and fun once again.
To learn more, visit quinnevans.com or easternmarket-dc.org.
Burning Down the House
This year marks the 200th anniversary of the beginning of the War of 1812, a war that saw Washington in flames when British troops attacked the city in 1814 and burned, most notably, the White House. President Madison decamped to temporary quarters, now known as the Octagon Museum, where he signed the Treaty of Ghent to end the war. In 1899, the AIA signed a lease for the building (later purchasing it) as a new headquarters. Today, it sits in the forecourt of a complex designed by the Architect’s Collaborative, and is home to the AIA, the American Institute of Architecture Students, the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture, and the National Architectural Accrediting Board.
To learn more, visit aia.org.
The District Architecture Center (DAC) opened last year as Washington, D.C.’s front line for design advocacy in the public eye. Hickok Cole Architects, selected in a 2009 competition, designed the new space in historic Penn Quarter. The DAC serves as the headquarters of AIA|DC and its partner organization, the Washington Architectural Foundation. Films, exhibitions, lectures, and public outreach—it all happens here.
Learn more at aiadac.com.
On the Waterfront
Southwest may be the smallest quadrant of Washington, D.C., but it’s the site of one of the area’s most ambitious urban-renewal developments of the 1950s and 1960s. Local favorite Charles M. Goodman, FAIA’s River Park (completed in 1963) is a masterful experiment of scale and classical motifs in a modern idiom. Underwritten by Reynolds Metals, River Park includes 134 townhouses and a 384-unit high-rise. While Goodman’s work can be found throughout the metro region—including Alexandria’s lauded Hollin Hills—River Park set a new standard for D.C. Modern that inspired a generation of local architects.