Super Sky Products Enterprises, LLC
multi-slope, dome skylight with cupola and finial
Durability, recycled and reusable materials, daylighting, energy efficiency and other environmental practices are all attributes currently being reviewed by the U.S. Green Building Council for Silver certification with LEED® Green Building Rating System. As an environmentally responsible finisher, Linetec safely captures and destroys the liquid paints’ volatile organic compounds (VOC) content before the finished material arrives at the job site.
“For projects seeking LEED certification and other green goals, choosing durable products with no-VOC finishes can be an important part of the selection and specification process,” explains Linetec’s senior marketing specialist, Tammy Schroeder, LEED Green Associate. “Like other 70% PVDF [polyvinylidene fluoride] resin-based finishes, Valspar’s Fluropon coatings are amongst the most weather-resistant of all finishes, meeting the most demanding, exterior, architectural specification AAMA 2605-11.”
This specification requires paint coatings to meet rigorous testing performance standards, including more than 2,000 hours of cyclic corrosion per ASTM G85 annex 5, and heat- and humidity-resistance. Per AAMA-2605, the coating also must maintain its film integrity, color retention, chalk resistance, gloss retention, and erosion resistance properties for a minimum of 10 years on the South Florida testing site. Helping manage the Florida sunshine’s solar heat gain, the skylight also incorporates Viracon’s high-performance, insulated laminated glazing units.
The Alfond Inn is open to all who visit the Florida campus and presents a lasting, positive impression on Rollins College’s prospective students and their families. “We wanted them to feel at home -- not just the students but the parents,” commented Shannon Michael Larimer, Baker Barrios Architects’ vice president of marketing, as reported in the Orlando Sentinel.
The $30 million hotel was built, in part, with a $12.5 million grant from the Harold Alfond Foundation. As a condition of the gift, revenue from the hotel funds scholarships to Rollins College through the Alfond Scholars fund.
The Valspar Corporation
The Alfond Inn at Rollins; 300 E. New England Ave., Winter Park, Florida, 32789; http://www.thealfondinn.com
* Owner: Rollins College; Winter Park, Florida; http://www.rollins.edu
* Co-developer/operator: The Olympia Companies; Portland, Maine; http://www.theolympiacompanies.com
* Architect, interior designer and landscape architect: Baker Barrios Architects, Inc.; Orlando; http://www.bakerbarrios.com
* General contractor: Brasfield & Gorrie; Winter Park, Florida; http://www.brasfieldgorrie.com
* Skylight system – manufacturer and installer: Super Sky Products Enterprises, LLC; Mequon, Wisconsin; http://www.supersky.com
* Skylight system – glass fabricator: Viracon, Inc.; Owatonna, Minnesota; http://www.viracon.com
* Skylight system – finish: Valspar 70% PVDF Fluropon®; The Valspar Corporation; Minneapolis; http://www.valsparcoilextrusion.com
* Skylight system – finisher: Linetec; Wausau, Wisconsin; http://www.linetec.com
* Photographer: William Lemke; courtesy of Super Sky
* Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ThM-J6906U, http://youtu.be/3LUsvYFCpnQ
* Virtual tour: http://22.214.171.124/vtour/alfondhtml5/htmld/index.html