The Washington Heights Library is a Carnegie library designed by Carrère & Hastings and completed in 1914. 100 years later the library reopened with a Dattner Architects-designed renovation of the main floor and lower level of the historic library. We also addressed accessibility needs at the exterior entrance and within the building with the insertion of a new, glass elevator for patrons. The elevator was designed to fit within the central stair, enhancing building circulation without taking up space from the library program. The main floor of the library now includes a new book collection, circulation desk, a teen section, 18 new computers, and a variety of seating areas. The design preserves and highlights the historic integrity of the library while meeting functional and technical requirements with a contemporary architectural expression.