Project DescriptionRanked among the top 20 in the nation, the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Nursing, a leader in preparing nurses to improve health and the quality of lives, has not had a dedicated place to call home on campus since the Nurses’ Dormitory was built in 1924. Opened August, 2014, Kahler Slater designed a building to support the school’s focus on research, technology and practice as well as to enhance collaborative learning with the adjacent University Hospital, medical and pharmacy schools. It will serve as the cornerstone of transforming nursing practice to address 21st-century challenges and opportunities.
Together with the School, Kahler Slater created a facility that incorporates the latest technological tools, active learning classrooms, flexible research facilities, responsiveness to the environment, and nods to the nursing school's 90-year history. It supports the school's vision to transform nursing education through new curriculum and the integration of advanced technology. The new curriculum is based on interdisciplinary collaboration, expanded research and outreach. The new School of Nursing includes space for faculty and administration offices plus flexible research team space; seminar rooms; clinical simulation laboratories; undergraduate and graduate student spaces, conference/meeting space and active learning classrooms. The active learning classrooms allow groups of nine students to sit at tables that are connected to technology in a classroom that holds upwards of 360 students with two or three faculty members. The project is LEED Silver Certified.