Project DescriptionThis two bedroom (two and a half bath) walkout is located in the heart of beautiful Door County, Wisconsin. It was designed with an Arts and Crafts by its Architect Owner and wife, now empty nesters. The home features single main level living, contiguous Great Room Living and Dining spaces and a three car attached garage. The Architect has an office in the home’s study.
The design aesthetic is a cross between a cottage and lodge atmosphere with custom cottage white cabinetry and dark stained maple motif, stainless steel appliances, tile and granite countertops.
The main entry has a covered entry porch with tapered columns and stamped concrete walk and patio.
There is a full guest suite on lower level, including family room.
Space is used efficiently and the home is “right sized” – No more square footage than needed was built and every nook and cranny is utilized.
There are tremendous view of Green Bay to the west especially from the Sunset Room Loft space and the three season porch with BBQ deck.
Other features include Structured Wiring, (home is “future-proofed”) and Central audio system.
Key sustainable features:
• Reuse of Brownfield site – former orchard was contaminated with pesticides
• Walking distance to town
• Held height limit – preserved view corridors
• No or little negative altering of existing drainage patterns
• Natural landscape relatively undisturbed
• Home has its own well and septic system
• Double insulated windows
• Solar coating on west windows
• Minimal windows to north
• Fiber cement siding all around
• Local materials (500 miles and drystacked ledgestone is indigenous to the site)
• Spray insul air barrier
• Extra insul – spray foam
• Radon venting
• Air to Air Heat pump
• High efficiency AC
• Water saver plumbing fixtures
• Energy Star appliances
• Rapid renewable wood (Maple)
• Judicious use of synthetics: Fypon and AZEK
• Cross and venturi ventilation principles incorporated with ceiling fans
• Wood burning fireplace (burning trees from site clearing)
• PEX plumbing
• Heat recovery ventilator
• High eff furnace
• Radiant floor heat in master bath
• “Smart” thermostat
• Motion controlled lighting
• Low VOCs throughout