This full renovation of a late 1800’s former horse stable, the building has been transformed into a classic shop-house complete with studio on the first floor and living quarters on the second floor. Much of the character of the existing building is preserved including exposed horse tether rings, heavy timber ceilings and brick. A new volume is inserted into the formerly open floor plan which contains bathrooms, kitchen, and storage. The newly reinforced structure in the living/dining ceiling is accentuated with a series of coves which define the public living areas and provide a space for indirect lighting. The skylight brings light to both levels as it straddles the kitchen on the second floor and stairway to the first floor. The studio below is an open void framed by a second, narrow volume which contains utilities, stairs and storage and creates a buffer between work and home life. Folding glass partitions blur the boundary between exterior and interior allowing the space to expand in warm months and for larger studio events.