Project DescriptionOriginally built in 1911 as the new home for the Oswego Normal School, Sheldon Hall is a three-story building in the collegiate Neo-Classical style that is currently the flagship building for the SUNY campus at Oswego. The brick façades are of load-bearing construction, and are accented with limestone, marble and terra cotta.
WASA/Studio A performed an extensive investigation before finalizing construction documents. In addition to documenting existing conditions, we identified the pathology of deterioration. Our final report both described these conditions and provided recommendations for a holistic restoration strategy, including: code analysis, identification of energy deficiencies, scheduling, phasing and budget estimates. Our preservation solutions focused on sustainable initiatives, while respecting the special architectural and historic character of the building.
The repair documents included restoration of the copper cupola and copper sheet-metal roofs, replacement of two small failed flat roofs with built-up roofing systems, as well as design of a lightning-protection system. The parapet repairs involved complete rebuilding with all new terra-cotta replicas; at the lower string courses, the terra cotta was selectively repaired. The stone water table was also selectively repaired, and the entire façade underwent spot re-pointing and masonry cleaning. Mock-ups of a new energy-efficient window and restored existing monumental wood window were reviewed by the client in order to determine whether to rehabilitate or replace the windows. The client chose to replace the windows with aluminum retrofits, which matched the existing profiles and functions, and to restore eight original wood windows protected by the portico. Correction of on-site drainage was implemented for the areaways.