We purchased the home in August of 2011 knowing that we were going to remodel. As a general contractor I knew what I was going to build and how I wanted to live, an open floor plan, a much larger kitchen, a laundry not in the garage, and a master bath and closet that was much more functional. Knowing that getting everything that we wanted we were going to have to add on some square footage. We couldn’t add on a lot because the budget wouldn’t allow, but to get the laundry out of the garage and make it flow right in the house we added on about 244 square feet of livable space. The original thought was that we would add on just the laundry but then realized within the space an additional half bath on that side of the house would be a great add. The original home use to have vaulted ceilings with a large soffit running through the middle of the house to supply ducts for the heating/cooling system. In line with the soffit were four structural posts that supported the ridge of the roof framing. Both the soffit and post needed to be removed to allow for the open floor plan to work. We also changed the vaulted ceiling to a flat 9’ ceiling, in the attic we were able to install all the mechanical equipment and open up the secondary bedrooms where the original vertical mechanical system use to be. The house was stripped down to the studs with new mechanical and electrical systems installed, but the best part of removing the drywall we were able to install foam insulation on all the exterior walls and ceilings and take this 1970’s home and make it much more energy efficient home for today.