The Larchmont Yacht Club was founded in 1880. Known as the premier sailing club on the Eastern seaboard, LYC was legally incorporated in 1887. The present site of eleven acres was purchased at a cost of $10,000 from Benjamin A. Carver, a railroad magnate. The original Carver residence is the actual center section of the present clubhouse – the east and west wings were added following the purchase. The Pandemonium was built fifteen years later in 1902. The present Junior Clubhouse was the Carver stable: the basement was the cow barn, while the first floor housed the horses. An open veranda-style porch called The Quarterdeck was added in the early 1900’s. In an effort to construct a four season dining and party room, the Quarterdeck was enclosed with cheap siding and single-paned windows, typical of a 1950’s remodel.
The club members chose local architect Jim Fleming to redesign the Quarterdeck with view toward current energy-efficiency standard with a sensitive eye on keeping with the history of the club’s overall design. Murphy Brothers Contracting dismantled the entire Quarterdeck, performing extensively rock-chipping to enlarge the basement beneath in order to accommodate an updated enlarged kitchen. Rebuilding the entire porch without expanding the footprint, we added new mechanicals (electrical, plumbing and HVAC), spray foam insulation, new mahogany floors and ceilings as well as incorporating (4) original hand-turned columns into the new design acting as both structural and decorative. The main design feature of the project are the 160(+) lineal feet of Nanawall doors that were integrated into the design, allowing the new Quarterdeck space to transform from an acclimated enclosed space into a delightful open veranda in less than an hour’s time.
As part of this renovation project, Murphy Brothers also completed a gut-renovation to the adjacent Shaffer and Club Rooms, a newly renovated a la carte kitchen, club banquet facilities and basement, all within a six month period at a cost just over $1.5M.