The primary goal of this project was to develop a sensible design that would meet the needs of a family of six who enjoy spending time in the kitchen cooking together. Our design objectives included creating a functional layout with generous storage and counter space, providing appropriate circulation space and flow designed for multiple users, successful incorporation of casual dining and social interaction, and choosing low-maintenance finishes and accents. We were looking to design a kitchen layout that would accommodate not only appropriate storage and counter space, but also provide multiple work areas for a variety of functions.
Design objectives include:
• Functional layout with generous storage and counter space.
• Appropriate circulation space and flow designed for multiple users.
• Incorporation of casual dining and social interaction.
• Creation of a light bright space.
• Providing low-maintenance finishes and accents.
Designing a kitchen layout that would accommodate not only appropriate storage and counter space, but also provide multiple work areas for a variety of functions presented the following challenges:
• Separation of work triangle from primary circulation routes.
• Providing prep areas for multiple functions and users.
• Maximizing natural light in a large space.
In response to the challenges described above the kitchen design incorporates the following combinations of planning and problem solving:
• Major appliances located opposite of the kitchen entry separates the work triangle from primary circulation. An under counter beverage refrigerator near kitchen entry keeps circulation away from work areas.
• An island with sink provides central prep area, while counter space adjacent to seating bar provides socially interactive prep area.
• A large bay window adjacent to the sink brings in light to the entire kitchen space.
Special features include:
• Built-in desk and device charging area.
• Walnut cabinetry at kitchen island.
• Interesting and colorful accent tile at backsplash and seating bar.