Project DescriptionFROM THE ARCHITECTS:
"The West Wing of the Illinois State Capitol is the second phase of a comprehensive renovation program for the most significant governmental building in the state. This National Historic Landmark, constructed between 1868 and 1888, represents the apogee of Second Empire design in Illinois. However, within fifty years of its completion, inappropriate changes to the building commenced, including the insertion of mezzanine office floors in a misguided effort to increase office capacity. The mandate of this project was to restore the key spaces throughout the West Wing’s four floors and basement simultaneous with implementation of new energy efficient HVAC systems, vital life safety upgrades, accessibility and security improvements, while also restoring the historic architecture. Planning for the project began in 2009 and construction commenced in 2011 with completion occurring late 2013."