Project DescriptionFROM THE CITY OF SYDNEY:
The City of Sydney invited architects and landscape architects to enter a design competition to create a new park and aquatic leisure centre for the Green Square area. From five finalists, our jury of leading Australian architects unanimously chose a scheme designed by a team led by Andrew Burges Architects with Grimshaw and T.C.L. Inspired by the beach pools of Sydney, the winning design creates a beautiful venue for the Green Square community which is as much about relaxing as swimming. The design features a 50 metre outdoor pool set within a large, irregular shaped ‘beach pool’, indoor pools and gym, all set within a beautiful park with play equipment, boardwalk and native landscaping.
Gunyama Park and Green Square Aquatic Centre have been designed to create a leisure and fitness complex with something for everyone. It will be a place to catch up with friends and family, enjoy some quiet time in the open air, do serious exercise or meet up with your sports team for training.
The design features:
- 50 metre heated outdoor pool with space for lap swimming and play
- 25 metre program pool for swimming lessons
- indoor leisure pool with a range of interactive toys, including water spraying devices and tipping buckets
- hydrotherapy pool
- crèche with indoor and outdoor play areas
- full-size outdoor synthetic multipurpose sports playfield
- fully equipped gymnasium and outdoor training circuit
- outdoor playground and boardwalk
- plants and landscaping inspired by the area’s indigenous heritage