Project DescriptionThe Count Basie Theatre is a landmarked building which opened as the Carlton Theatre in 1926 and was renamed in 1984 to honor jazz great and Red Bank native William “Count” Basie. Since its opening, the Count Basie Theatre has served the community with a diversity of entertainment and educational programming. Today, the theatre has a new vision for its future.
Improvements to the existing theatre include an expanded backstage area and fly loft, new dressing rooms, a green room and support facilities, an expanded main lobby and an upgraded vehicular loading and staging area. New additions will provide much needed rehearsal spaces, a second performance venue, and a variety of spaces for community-based arts programs including the theatre’s ever-growing Performing Arts Academy and a new ‘Count Basie Plaza’ for pre-performance functions.