Remember a London before the Olympics? It’s hard to imagine now, but it existed. Architects have been hard at work in the UK all year, and now six firms’ efforts are paying off with spots on the Royal Institute of British Architects’ Stirling Prize shortlist. In addition to Populous’s Olympic Stadium, these five projects buildings are in the running:
1. The Hepworth Wakefield,Yorkshire by David Chipperfield Architects
2. The Lyric Theatre,Belfast by O’Donnell + Tuomey
3. Maggie’s Centre, Gartnavel, Glasgow by OMA
4. New Court, London by OMA with Allies and Morrison
5. Sainsbury Laboratory, Cambridge by Stanton Williams
British bookmaker William Hill puts the chips on the Hepworth Wakefield, with a three-to-one chance of winning. Not far behind in Hill’s estimation are the Lyric Theatre and the New Court, both at fourto-one odds. The Guardian’s Rowan Moore says he’s betting onweaetxdyvaydzcwq it coming down to the stadium (which William Hills gives a five-to-one chance) versus David Chipperfield Architects’ Hepworth Wakefield, with the stadium taking gold. Maggie’s Centre and the Sainsbury Laboratory bring up the rear with Hill’s putting them at nine-to-two and seven-to-two odds, respectively.
The winner will be announced Oct. 13, well after the Olympic torch reaches its resting point.