great buildings on tv
Public television station WTTW Chicago is at work on a program about "ten influential American buildings that changed the way we live, work, and play."
These ten buildings were selected in consultation with a panel of historians and architects from across the country:
- Virginia State Capitol,Richmond, VA
- Trinity Church,Boston, MA
- Wainwright Building, St. Louis, MO
- Robie House, Chicago, IL
- Highland Park Ford Plant, Highland Park, MI
- Southdale Center Mall, Edina, MN
- Seagram Building New York, NY
- Dulles International Airport, Chantilly, VA
- Vanna Venturi House Chestnut Hill, PA
- Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles, CA
The program's cast and crew are currently traveling coast-to-coast, capturing these influential works of American architecture and interviewing some of the nation's most esteemed architects and historians.
I like that the list includes a manufacturing plant and a shopping center, two categories of building we don't often think of as architecturally significant. The show will air nationally on PBS stations next year. I wish it were sooner. --b.d.s.