Architect Stephen Muse’s design to restore this 1784 Eastern Shore plantation house included removing several porches and recent additions, and replicating twin porches on the drive side of the house on the waterfront facade.
A one-story hyphen that contains a pantry connects the existing house with a 500-square-foot addition that includes a new kitchen and breakfast room. The breakfast room bay resembles an enclosed porch and provides the owners with a view of Hungar’s Creek.
The judges appreciated that the simple, elegant addition doesn’t overwhelm the existing house. In fact, the addition is set apart from the house and doesn’t completely blend with it. One judge commented that this is a refreshingly different approach to historically sensitive renovation. —Nina Patel, senior editor, REMODELING.
Bathroom plumbing fittings: Waterworks
Bathroom plumbing fixtures: Waterworks; Kohler
Countertops: Pietra Cardosa
Garage doors: Designer Doors
Lighting fixtures: Rejuvenation
Paints/stains: Benjamin Moore