The American Institute of Architects has announced the winners of the 2010 Housing Awards program, which recognizes the best in housing design. Four award categories cover the most common housing types: One/Two Family Custom Housing, One/Two Family Production Housing, Multifamily Housing, and Special Housing.
Eighteen projects were selected across all four categories. The winners are:
One/Two Family Custom Housing
- Diamond Project, San Francisco, by Terry & Terry Architecture, Berkeley, Calif.
- Ferrous House, Spring Prairie, by Johnsen Schmaling Architects, Milwaukee
- Port Townsend Residence, Port Townsend, Wash., by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson, Seattle
- Dry Creek Outbuildings, Woodside, Calif., by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson, Seattle
- Sky Ranch, Seattle, by The Miller|Hull Partnership, Seattle
- Spiral House, Old Greenwich, Conn., by Joeb Moore + Partners Architects, Greenwich, Conn.
- Sheldon Gatehouse, Cle Elum, Wash., by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson, Seattle
- T42 House, Minneapolis, by VJAA, Minneapolis
One/Two Family Production Housing
- Cellophane House, New York City, by KieranTimberlake, Philadelphia
- 14 Townhouses, Brooklyn, N.Y., by Rogers Marvel Architects, New York City
- Gish Apartments, San Jose, Calif., by Office of Jerome King, FAIA, San Jose
- OneEleven Mixed-Use Development, Baton Rouge, La., by Remson|Haley|Herpin Architects, Baton Rouge
- Formosa 1140, West Hollywood, Calif., by Lorcan O'Herlihy Architects, Culver City, Calif.
- Safari Drive, Scottsdale, Ariz., by The Miller|Hull Partnership, Seattle
- The Waterworks at Chestnut Hill, Chestnut Hill, Mass., by Gund Partnership, Cambridge, Mass.
- Step Up on Fifth, Santa Monica, Calif., by Pugh + Scarpa, Santa Monica
- The Housing Tower, Stockbridge, Mass., by The Rose + Guggenheimer Studio, New York City
- Swarthmore College Residence Halls, Swarthmore, Pa., by William Rawn Associates, Architects, Boston
View the two slideshows for project information. Read complete details on all 18 winning projects here.
The 2010 Housing Awards jury included: Andrew V. Porth, AIA, Porth Architects; Jane Kolleeny, Architectural Record and GreenSource; Natalye Appel, FAIA, Natalye Appel + Associates Architects; Geoffrey Goldberg, AIA, G. Goldberg and Associates; and Grace Kim, AIA, Schemata Workshop.